Barnett Banks Collection
Collection — translation missing: en.enumerations.container_type.container: M99-1
Scope and Contents
The collection contains awards, photographs, printed material, and realia. Items span the years 1920-2009, with the majority of the materials concentrated in 1970-96. Annual reports, newsletters, and other printed material form the core of the collection. Photographs include images of Barnett Bank buildings in Jacksonville, and senior Barnett executives and members of the Barnett family. Strengths of the collection include a complete set of annual reports from 1971-1996, reprints of bank advertisements from the mid-twentieth century, and an extensive group of employee newsletters, disseminated by the Bank from 1957-1998, which chronicled company / employee news and issues.
- Created: 1920-2009
- Other: Majority of material found in ( 1970-1996)
- Other: Date acquired: 01/00/1999
- Barnett Banks (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research. For additional information and to make an appointment to view the collection, contact 904-620-1533 or e-mail email@example.com
Biographical or Historical Information
William Boyd Barnett opened the Bank of Jacksonville (Florida) on May 7, 1877. In 1888, the bank was renamed the National Bank of Jacksonville. Upon William B. Barnett's death in 1903, son Bion Hall Barnett was named President. In 1908, the bank was rechartered as the Barnett National Bank of Jacksonville. Other name changes occurred in: 1965-70, Barnett First National Bank of Jacksonville; 1971-1996, Barnett Bank of Jacksonville, N.A.; and 1996-98, Barnett Bank, N.A. In 1996, all Barnett affiliates merged into the charter of Barnett Bank of Jacksonville, N.A., and were also renamed Barnett Bank, N.A. In 1930, a bank holding company, Barnett National Securities Corporation (BNSC), was formed as a subsidiary of Barnett National Bank of Jacksonville. In 1966, as the BNSC prepared to expand statewide, it became the parent company of the Jacksonville bank. Two name changes followed: in 1969, Barnett Banks of Florida, Inc.; and in 1987, Barnett Banks, Inc. The bank system was purchased by NationsBank in January 1998.
Note written by
Note written by
20.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains awards, photographs, printed material, and realia. Items span the years 1920-2009, with the majority of the materials concentrated in 1970-96.
Alphabetical by series; chronological within folder.
Source of Acquisition
The materials were acquired by Thomas G. Carpenter Library, University of North Florida from various gifts. Bulk of collection donated by Barnett Historic Preservation Foundation, Inc., 1999. Miscella
Method of Acquisition
The materials were acquired by UNF Library Special Collections and University Archives on 01/00/1999.
Other Descriptive Information
Electronic versions of some collection materials are available on the World Wide Web as part of the Florida Heritage Collection. The State Archives of Florida holds the Barnett Banks Historical Collection. Archival materials include public relations and advertising records, oral histories, photographs, and corporate records from 1950-2001. Serious researchers will want to search their Online Catalog and/or view their Visitor Information page. Additional information may be found at http://palmm.fcla.edu/fh/
- Banks and banking--Florida--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Banks and banking--Florida--Jacksonville--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Barnett Banks of Florida.
- Barnett Banks.
- Barnett National Bank of Jacksonville.
- Finance--Florida--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jacksonville (Fla.)--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorabilia Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Printed materials Subject Source: Local sources
- Realia Subject Source: Local sources
- Barnett Banks Collection
- Collection Description/Finding Aid prepared by Eileen D. Brady.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note