Skip to main content

Barnett Banks Collection

 Collection — Container: M99-1
Identifier: M99-1

Scope and Contents

The collection contains awards, photographs, printed material, and realia. Items span the years 1920-2009, with the majority of the materials concentrated in 1970-96. Annual reports, newsletters, and other printed material form the core of the collection. Photographs include images of Barnett Bank buildings in Jacksonville, and senior Barnett executives and members of the Barnett family. Strengths of the collection include a complete set of annual reports from 1971-1996, reprints of bank advertisements from the mid-twentieth century, and an extensive group of employee newsletters, disseminated by the Bank from 1957-1998, which chronicled company / employee news and issues.

Dates

  • Created: 1920-2009
  • Other: Majority of material found in ( 1970-1996)
  • Other: Date acquired: 01/00/1999

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research. For additional information and to make an appointment to view the collection, contact 904-620-1533 or e-mail lib-special@unf.edu

Biographical or Historical Information

William Boyd Barnett opened the Bank of Jacksonville (Florida) on May 7, 1877. In 1888, the bank was renamed the National Bank of Jacksonville. Upon William B. Barnett's death in 1903, son Bion Hall Barnett was named President. In 1908, the bank was rechartered as the Barnett National Bank of Jacksonville. Other name changes occurred in: 1965-70, Barnett First National Bank of Jacksonville; 1971-1996, Barnett Bank of Jacksonville, N.A.; and 1996-98, Barnett Bank, N.A. In 1996, all Barnett affiliates merged into the charter of Barnett Bank of Jacksonville, N.A., and were also renamed Barnett Bank, N.A. In 1930, a bank holding company, Barnett National Securities Corporation (BNSC), was formed as a subsidiary of Barnett National Bank of Jacksonville. In 1966, as the BNSC prepared to expand statewide, it became the parent company of the Jacksonville bank. Two name changes followed: in 1969, Barnett Banks of Florida, Inc.; and in 1987, Barnett Banks, Inc. The bank system was purchased by NationsBank in January 1998.

Note written by

Extent

20.00 Linear Feet

Abstract

The collection contains awards, photographs, printed material, and realia. Items span the years 1920-2009, with the majority of the materials concentrated in 1970-96.

Arrangement Note

Alphabetical by series; chronological within folder.

Source of Acquisition

The materials were acquired by Thomas G. Carpenter Library, University of North Florida from various gifts. Bulk of collection donated by Barnett Historic Preservation Foundation, Inc., 1999. Miscella

Method of Acquisition

The materials were acquired by UNF Library Special Collections and University Archives on 01/00/1999.

Related Materials

An extensive contents list is available for viewing at the Carpenter Library web site. Information about related materials is available at https://www.unf.edu/library/specialcollections/manuscripts/containers/Barnett_Banks_Container.aspx

Other Descriptive Information

Electronic versions of some collection materials are available on the World Wide Web as part of the Florida Heritage Collection. The State Archives of Florida holds the Barnett Banks Historical Collection. Archival materials include public relations and advertising records, oral histories, photographs, and corporate records from 1950-2001. Serious researchers will want to search their Online Catalog and/or view their Visitor Information page. Additional information may be found at http://palmm.fcla.edu/fh/
Title
Barnett Banks Collection
Author
Collection Description/Finding Aid prepared by Eileen D. Brady.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
eng

Repository Details

Part of the UNF Library Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville FL 32224 US
904-620-1533